Arthur House was working for the Dominion Steel and Coal Company (DOSCO) mining ore on Bell island when he was assigned the task of locating limestone in Newfoundland. In the fall of 1910, he found an abundance of top rate stone at Jack O’Clubs Cove in Port au Port Bay on Newfoundland’s west coast. DOSCO opened a quarry there in 1911. With Arthur in charge, Jack O’Clubs Cove was transformed into a mining community which was renamed Aguathuna, a Beothuck word meaning ’white rock.’
There are no reviews yet.